I Am Legend (2007)
THE SCOOPDirector: Francis Lawrence
Plot: Years after a plague kills most of humanity and transforms the rest into monsters, the sole survivor in New York City struggles valiantly to find a cure.
Genre: Action/Drama/Horror/Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Thriller
Awards: -
Runtime: 101min
Rating: PG for intense sequences of sci-fi action and violence.
TRAILER:
OST:
IN RETROSPECT
One of the most highly anticipated films of 2007 turned out to be a dud. I Am Legend, a remake of sorts, and an adaptation of Richard Matheson novel, has a premise that is potentially explosive, one that will make the cash register sing. A sci-fi horror in nature, I Am Legend will attract viewers just by the plot itself and of course, the charisma of its star, Will Smith.
Smith is typecast as someone with a lonely existence, but with a zest for life and a personal quest to reverse the deadly effects of a plague that has turned most into carnivorous, light-terrorized zombies that thrive menacingly when dusk breaks. His performance is ever-improving, maybe it comes from being recently Oscar-nominated. The rest of the cast is abysmal though, maybe it comes from being CGI-ed. The zombies while effectively created, does not frighten as much in the second half the film than in the first.
That being said, I Am Legend is a movie of two halves. A promising start that depicts
Director Francis Lawrence (
Sometimes bad films are at the very least entertaining, think Transformers, or for that matter Die Hard 4.0. I Am Legend lacks substance, and will disappoint fans of the genre. It will continue to break box-office records though, but it also reminds us that popularity doesn’t equate to quality. If you enjoy mediocre films, here’s one to recommend. I Am Dismal could have been a more apt title.
SCORE: 5/10


Click here to go back to Central Station.








Comments