Were you bothered by the abrupt tonal shift at the end? After my first watch I couldn't help but be turned off by that shift, but on further viewings I was able to appreciate it better. Definitely a masterpiece.
Hi! You mean the final confrontation between Day-Lewis and Dano in the bowling alley? I loved it the first time I saw it because it was so ludicrous. But also felt it was bold by P.T. Anderson to 'finish' (and indeed so) the film off in a surprisingly way.
Yeah that scene. Also the cinematography in that sequence is, when compared with the scene, quite striking. For better or worse it's probably going to be the darkest film P.T. Anderson will ever make. He seems to be simplifying his style since that movie, and it shows in The Master and Inherent Vice, and even in Junun. He's relying less on filmmaking tricks and more on just pure storytelling. I guess it shows his maturity as an artist? I don't know, but he's definitely one of the best American filmmakers at work today.
Comments