I am impressed about your interest, and really good input about this movie. It would be difficult for a movie freak Romanian expat in Singapore not to notice your review. Many people watching this movie fall in the trap of considering that it's an iconic story about communism. It's great that you don't see it like this. It is an iconic movie about Romanian "realism new wave cinema". And Mungiu is not even the best from a list of directors, in my opinion. This movie though - stars perfectly aligned! The point in time and space is just the setting, not the reason. The story itself brings the occasion for our feelings to react. All this, very well noticed in the review. I loved your comment about "the camera" – character. A few important back stage facts to add about this, in case you are considering getting even more close to Romanian cinema. Once more congrats for the article and the blog, I’ll try to…keep an IonU :)
Hi, thank you for your comments. I am quite intrigued by Eastern European cinema. Have reviewed my fair share of Polish films, many of which I admired and enjoyed.
Mungiu is probably the only Romanian filmmaker that I know who is currently making films, or at least making a splash at festivals. I would like to hear your recommendations on other Romanian filmmakers and their films that you think I should take a look. Much appreciated for your time and kind advice.
Comments
It would be difficult for a movie freak Romanian expat in Singapore not to notice your review.
Many people watching this movie fall in the trap of considering that it's an iconic story about communism.
It's great that you don't see it like this. It is an iconic movie about Romanian "realism new wave cinema". And Mungiu is not even the best from a list of directors, in my opinion.
This movie though - stars perfectly aligned! The point in time and space is just the setting, not the reason. The story itself brings the occasion for our feelings to react. All this, very well noticed in the review.
I loved your comment about "the camera" – character. A few important back stage facts to add about this, in case you are considering getting even more close to Romanian cinema.
Once more congrats for the article and the blog, I’ll try to…keep an IonU :)
Mungiu is probably the only Romanian filmmaker that I know who is currently making films, or at least making a splash at festivals. I would like to hear your recommendations on other Romanian filmmakers and their films that you think I should take a look. Much appreciated for your time and kind advice.